Everyone can agree that pets and dogs are a major mood booster. Who hasn’t spent some hours scrolling through dog memes, watching funny dog videos, or snuggling with dogs to help us feel better?
But while they help us feel more relaxed, happier, and less stressed by being the loveable pets that they are, what about when they’re the ones feeling nervous or anxious? Although it’s normal for dogs to change behaviour when faced with occasional stressors, they can also feel more serious anxiety from a number of things. CBD oil for dogs has become very popular over the past years, this article shows you how to recognize when your dog is feeling stressed and also offers actionable steps using CBD oil that may help out your anxious dog.
What does dog anxiety look like?
Anxiety in dogs can show up in many ways. It ranges from mild stress to full-blown phobias. Situational anxiety arises when certain circumstances cause fear in a dog. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, situations that can trigger fear in dogs include1) unfamiliar people and dogs, 2) loud or unfamiliar noises such as construction work, large trucks, fireworks, and thunderstorms, 3) certain visual stimuli and environments such as uniforms, vet clinics, and parks, or 4) a combination of stimuli such as car rides and vacuum cleaners. As you can see, a whole host of things can stir up anxiety in your dog.
The physical symptoms of anxiety your dog can exhibit include:
- Destructive behaviour
- Excessive barking, drooling, or panting
- Lowered body posture and lowered ears
- Urinating or defecating in the house (by housebroken dogs)
- Repetitive or compulsive behaviours
Tips to Help Anxious Dogs
With the number of everyday situations that can trigger anxiety in dogs being so high, how can we actually help our pups when we see stress hurting them?
Here are 5 tips to help calm your dog when they’re anxious:
- Make sure your dog gets exercise. Exercise helps dogs the same way it helps humans—it produces endorphins, releases pent-up anxious energy, and tires them out so they’re able to relax. Not only that, it helps with bonding.
- Massage your pup! Your pup can hold a lot of tension in its body, especially the neck and back legs. Using long strokes, massage your pup’s body working down from the neck.
- Give them some drops of CBD for dog anxiety. To make your dog feel safer when dealing with stressful situations such as car rides, separation, or loud noises, use hemp-derived CBD Oil. CBD Oil contains properties that can relax and calm your dog’s nervous system. Tinctures are the best way to give your dog its CBD. You can add it to their treats or food, but directly in their mouth using a spoon is best absorbed.
- Relax with some music therapy. The power of music can calm your pup. Certain types of music, such as Classical, Soft Rock, and Reggae are especially known to calm dogs. Put on a soothing playlist the next time you’ll be away or when your pup is stressed. Save the heavy metal and grunge though, they’re known to cause agitation, hostility, and sadness in dogs.
- Good old-fashioned physical touch! A pet parent’s touch can be incredibly soothing for a dog. Include lots of cuddling, petting or snuggling on the couch!
How can I get started using CBD Oil with my dog?
CBD oil has been exploding in popularity over the past years as a natural option in dealing with anxiety in humans and for their pets. With so many pet products on the market, how do you know to separate the quality from the rest? And how do you know which is the safest and best CBD for dog anxiety?
Looking for lab-tested hemp-derived CBD and a product made specifically for pets is a great start. CBD Oil that is lab-tested and free from toxic additives such as pesticides or heavy metals is also important. Calyx offers a dedicated line of effective, high-grade coconut oil and hemp-derived CBD made exclusively for our furry friends! With so many of our pet product users repeatedly coming back for more, the Calyx pet line has expanded to better serve the needs of your pet.
How much CBD Oil should I give my dog for anxiety?
CBD for dog anxiety dosage depends on the size of your pet. Smaller dogs need smaller doses. If your pet is under 20 lbs (roughly 10 kg), start with a lower concentration of CBD. Relief is the CBD Oil made specifically for smaller pets. It has 250 mg total of hemp extracted CBD. The dose can be customized for dogs under 5, 10, or 20 lbs. Relief also comes in chicken or beef flavours so your pup will be sure to like it! Nurture, the CBD Oil for medium size pets has 500 mg of hemp-extracted CBD and is suitable for pets up to 35 lbs (15 kg). Since our large furry friends need love too, our CBD for pets such as MAX, contains a whopping 1000 mg of CBD. It is our most highly concentrated CBD Oil tincture for pets and suits large dogs up to 70 lbs (30 kg). You can also discuss with your Vet to determine which product is best for your dog’s anxiety.
Now if you happen to see that fearful look in your pup’s eyes when the lightning and thunder rolls around, or when you’re leaving the house for the day, you know what to do! So your Good Boy or Good Girl can keep feeling calmer, happier and, less anxious.